Santa Clara University School of Law, J.D., 1988
Santa Clara University, B.A., Philosophy, magna cum laude, 1984
State Bar of California
U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
U.S. District Court, Central District of California
Partner Peter Dessau’s more than 28 year practice focuses on construction law, with an emphasis on litigation involving construction claims, defects and other related issues. Regularly advising clients out of both the firm’s San Jose and Newport Beach offices, he represents developers, builders, design professionals and contractors in payment disputes, and defends and prosecutes delay and impact claims against private owners, contractors and public entities.
A trusted advocate to his clients, Peter also regularly provides counsel to members of the construction industry on risk management techniques to avoid litigation. He is a frequent writer and speaker on construction law topics, including serving as a guest lecturer for construction law classes at Santa Clara University School of Law and San Jose State University (Extension). Peter is a member of the American Arbitration Association’s Panel of Construction Arbitrators.
Peter is rated AV® Preeminent™ on Martindale-Hubbell and has been recognized as a Northern California Super Lawyer every year from 2011 - 2016.
- California State Bar Association
- Building Owners and Managers Association
- California Apartment Association
- Panel of Construction Arbitrators, American Arbitration Association
- Board of Directors, Housing Industry Foundation
- Arbitrated to judgment a $15.35 million construction defect case on behalf of a national developer.
- Defended California prime contractor against claim that a one-million square foot roof on a major distribution center was defectively constructed when in fact the roof was an improperly specified product.
- Initiated and successfully concluded litigation on behalf of a publicly traded REIT against trade contractors and design team due to failures in a building curtain wall system on a high rise tower.
- Successfully resolved a multi-million dollar claim on behalf of a prime contractor against a school district involving delays and defective plans.
- Arbitrated and recovered damages against designers, contractors and the seller of a large apartment complex in a case involving defectively-installed siding.
- Prevailed before the American Arbitration Association on a claim for “extras” on behalf of a general contractor on a major tenant improvements project.
Statistical Extrapolation in Construction Defect Cases, Claims Conference of Northern California, 2014
A Refresher on Water Intrusion Issues, Building Performance University, 2013
Litigation Scheduling, Construction Super Conference, 2012
Statistical Extrapolation in Construction Defect Cases, Association of Defense Counsel, 2012
How to Bid Abandoned Projects, Associated General Contractors of California, 2010
Senate Bill 800 101, California Apartment Association, 2007
Risk Management: Six Pre-Bid Considerations for the Estimator, American Society of Professional Estimators, 2007
Common Design & Install Errors Associated with Stucco & EIFS, Building Performance University, 2007
Design-Build and Public Works Projects, The Construction Specifier
Minimizing the Impact of Bankruptcy, The Construction Specifier
Litigation- Proof Specifications, The Construction Specifier